new adventure

FYI to my beloved friends...

Just wanted to let you all know what I'm hoping to do in case anyone else is interested... the Children's Home Society of Florida (they are the general child welfare and fostering system in our state) has a program called MODEL which is very similar to the "Big Brothers" program, except that kids involved have an incarcerated parent. I read about it in the Orlando Sentinel this past weekend and I really felt like God was speaking to my heart-- I've been looking for a way to make a difference in peoples' lives who are not part of my direct family or church family, and one of the only things I'm really good at right now is hanging out with kids :) I want Mason to see and know people who are from all different life circumstances and I want service to be a part of our daily lives. And I want him (and all of our future kids) to know that he/they is the not the center of the universe.

So the commitment is 1 hour per week, and you can really do anything with the kids, anywhere from just helping with homework to taking them to the park or the library or the zoo. I figure we already spend hours at the park, why not bring someone else with us?

So here's the link to the organization in case you're interested. I'm really excited about this!
http://www.chsfl.org/mentoring.php

Comments

Lindsey said…
wow. that is really cool. you're awesome :-)

Popular Posts