Sunday at Hosanna

Today was amazing, unforgettable, priceless.

I feel like we all received an amazing gift today-- the knowledge of each other. We will be able to share this with Teshale which is just so wonderful. We are so thankful for CHSFS, our agency. The Ethiopian staff really go above and beyond, all out of love for our children and in their best interest in knowing as much about their early history as possible.

It was a beautiful drive down to Hosanna and back, with beautiful weather... sunny, high in the low 70's... we are glad for the escape from crazy Florida August. The terrain here is the best mix of the green, low mountains of the Carolinas and the cragginess of the Rocky mountains, with a rich red soil and thick green covering over everything from all the recent rains. Everywhere you look you see goats, cows, donkeys, and/or small horses, with people of any age leading them. We saw a girl of about 4 or 5 leading huge cattle. We got to visit a traditional hut on the way back... there is one family that brought their 4 year old daughter with them, and when she stepped off the bus with her brown Cabbage Patch doll baby the Ethiopian kids all went wild; giggling, screaming, trying to touch the doll. It was really funny.

I can't say much about the rainy season-- we've had much more rain lately in FL, but at least when it rains at home the roads are paved and so don't turn into big sludge pits.

Tomorrow Teshale comes with us to the guest house for a few hours... our practice round :) The social workers will be here to help us navigate. I know we will all want to immediately strip our children... most of us haven't even seen then for a diaper change yet, and we are all dying to check out our babies' bodies. Joe and I did take a peek at some thigh rolls and T's belly button-- he's an innie :) Wisely enough, immediate stripping is not recommended, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than one kid suddenly needs a bath ;) We'll see how it goes; so far Teshale is not shy about letting us know when he is unhappy, so we're not sticking a yelling baby in the bath against his will, and we'll see of he's even feeling well enough to do much of anything. Maybe it'll be more cuddle time. Ok, twist my arm.

I am really missing my Mason man and am ready for some skinny arm hugs and some funny new observations on life. I would love to hear some of his observations about Addis. He'd love the animals everywhere, especially all the cows. Bryn e-mailed me a picture of him and Zach together at Lolo's house which has been sustaining me though the missing-Mason times; Bryn is awesome and cool. (Did I mention my sister is a budding photographer and has potential to be awesome and cool? Especially in small file sizes appropriate for download on a dial-up line? I knew I mentioned that already.)

Ok, I think I am off to bed (yes, it is only 8:13 here) before my brain completely melts and self-destructs.

Love to you all from Addis Ababa.
Leah

Comments

Shelly said…
So is he feeling better today? Poor little guy.... this is so cool you are getting a comprehensive vision of his life.

Popular Posts