Pretend Power

The power of pretend amazes me... maybe because I don't even really remember pretending as a kid. I never had any invisible friends, was never invited to invisible sleepovers. But Mason is highly influenced by the imaginary world. Of course, like any good mother, I manipulate this to the best of my ability. Like when Mason doesn't want to eat broccoli, "Mr. Man" (a cardboard paper doll with a blank face) decides he wants to see Mason take a big monster bite and he is happy to oblige. Mission accomplished, fiber requirement met, and everyone's happy.

My favorite pretend game is the bathtime puppy. We have one of those hooded towels with a puppy face on top, and a little squeaker. It often happens that Joe has gotten Mason out of the bath, I'm finishing up dish duty, and this cute little puppy emerges from the hallway, yapping excitedly. He approaches with a big smile and asks for a treat-- a banana, since that's my parents' dog's favorite snack. He eats the banana happily, shakes his tail whenever I ask him to, and likes to have his tummy scratched although he seems a little ticklish. I think to myself, "he looks a lot like Mason but it can't be Mason... Mason never eats a whole banana". And then, surprise of all surprises, the puppy whips off his disguise and yells, "I'm Mason!", giggling excitedly. It gets me every time, I tell you-- I am always fooled by that puppy.

Comments

Acasha King said…
That is so cute! I can just imagine Mason with his "friends" playing! I think is is great he has an active imagination.

Popular Posts