a day like today deserves a blog post...

WARNING: this post contains graphic references to vomit. You have been warned.

Mason is 6!
So exciting. I told him the story of "what Mommy was doing 6 years ago (in very general terms!) and he smiled to hear about all the people that came to visit him in the hospital as a tiny baby. His eyes widened to imagine his new daddy struggling to figure out how to change a diaper on such a teeny tiny baby :)
Mason had quite a birthday today. Fever, headache, and throwing up yesterday, so today he had to stay home and the plans we had made to celebrate his big day all had to be changed... after a long night last night (at one point he said, "Mommy, I just need to get out of this bed. I don't know how to get to sleep and this is the longest night ever"-- I agreed). Then instead of going anywhere fun we had to stay within 10 feet of the bathroom all day to run Levi in and hold his head over the toilet. Mason was a champ about not complaining even once that his birthday plans had been scrapped, and expertly kept Micah from wreaking too much havoc while I knelt behind Levi and rubbed his fever-hot little back.
It's always interesting to me to see how people are when they get sick. Mason (like his daddy) becomes helpless. Levi, on the other hand, gets angry. At one point he had his head in a bucket (thanks Whitney for the fishing bucket party favors, they have caught a lotta puke), and after throwing up again, his voice echoed out, "That not yummy!', and you could just hear how furious he was. I couldn't help but laugh a little and then he yells into the bucket, voice still echoing, "Stop laughing at me!!!" Poor guy.
After a long day tethered to the bathroom, Levi had gone over an hour without upchucking and I thought he looked a little more chipper, enough that we could venture out of the house. I really wanted Mason to be able to do something fun on his birthday, and he really wanted to go get pizza. Twenty minutes later as were about to pull in to the restaurant we heard burp/splash those distinctive sounds and sure enough Levi was absolutely covered in the banana he had eaten an hour before. Ooooh, man. Windows down, we headed straight home and called for the delivery guy. No one can say I didn't try.
Note: if anyone starts a business cleaning carseats that have been puked in I will put you on speed-dial, 'cause that ain't fun. I'm just sayin.

So, happy birthday Mason. Here's hoping next year's birthday is way less, um, memorable?

birthday circus waffles

 on a scavenger hunt, Nate The Great style. Detective spy-glass comes in handy.

These pictures are from Mason's Monday Mission... he and Joe made a rocket-ship, complete with scooter board and booster seat. And rocket-boosters, of course. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so thankful for you and your commitment to blog! I love checking up on the boys, hearing their updates, and most of all THE PICTURES! I am so sorry to hear about all of the SICK. Hope tomorrow is much improved. Also feel terrible that we didn't get our Bongiorno Happy Birthday video wish to Mason in time. Joey and I were split today with each of the boys. We reunited at crazy dinner time and so the night went. Tomorrow he can expect his bday message-and his card went out Monday so hopefully that makes my tomorrow, too. Slacker Aunt Whitney at her best. Love you guys and I am so super impressed with the spaceship. I want to hear more about that from little man! xoxo-A.Whit
Anonymous said…
Oh-and so glad the fishing bucket was useful-although that's not the fun time I was imaging.
Amy Kovacs said…
Happy Birthday Mason! Don't tell him I was laughing almost the entire time I was reading that post. We can only laugh because we all have our own awful stomach flu stories to tell, like the time we gave it to Kevin's entire family 5 days before his sister's wedding. Or the time I was rushing Elise to the bathroom, didn't realize she was puking on the way, and slid across the kitchen after I stepped in it. And I've got plenty more where that came from! Hope you all had some fun anyway - memorable indeed. Love you!

Popular Posts