Math problems

Welcome today to our guest blogger.... 
Joe

Tonight I thought I'd prompt a moment of positive reflections with the boys as I tucked them in bed.  Here was my conversation with Levi...

"Levi, tell me something awesome you did today!" mustering up my enthusiastic prompting.
"I'm good at math!" Levi said excitedly.
"Yeah you are! I bet you're learning a lot."
After I started getting up, "Daddy, gimme a problem."
I turned to him. "A what?"
"I'll show you math. Gimme a word problem."
"Ok." I think for a moment. "There are 5 guys.  Three go away. How many are left?"
"Nine!"
I used my fingers and repeated the word problem. "Now, how many were left?"
I braced myself. "Two daddy, two!"
Shwew.

It didn't really occur to me that he might not be doing subtraction yet.

Comments

Taye often quizzes us all in math at the dinner table. His problems always go something like this, "Okay. Someone took away five of my bananas. How many do I have left?" Then he awards points (and sometimes bonus points....complete with sound effects) to anyone whose answer he likes....(anywhere from zero to a million billion sixty five.....and that's a lot of bananas). Maybe you should do Taye subtraction with Levi! "Someone took fifteen balls away from me. How many do I have left?"

That's my kind of math:)
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts