Bringing Tesfa Marta home, part 1

 
It's Monday night in Ethiopia, and today we brought Marta home. To our guest house, at least. Thankfully we have this time in Ethiopia for her to get used to us before we have to put her on a plane and then introduce her to three big crazy excited brothers.

So all weekend I fought worry about what this day would look like; I knew we had to get Marta's medicals done, bring her out of the care center and say goodbye to her nannies, and then switch guest houses. It's a lot for one day, physically and emotionally. So we packed and prepared for a very long day of going around to different medical offices for the various parts of an immigration medical exam, and left early this morning, ready to get it all done.

And God laughed.

He had other plans. As usual. When will I learn? (Maybe never)

We got to the care center and the nurse had already left, taking Marta to all of her doctors appts. They'd be gone for a few hours so we just had time to kill. We were disappointed about missing that time with Marta and being able to reassure her through a scary time, and also honestly dreading the thought of another morning with a bunch of toddlers and babies who are really not huge fans of a tall man with a beard. We tried to play with the babies but left after about half and hour when they were all (ALL) crying.

We walked over to the big boys area and they were so happy to see us. These boys. Seriously. They grab your heart and thankfully they are all matched with a family or my heart would be aching. But as it is I am so excited for them and the amazing families that are waiting so patiently (or impatiently against their will) to bring them home. They LOVE to talk about their families and their future siblings. I have just fallen in love with them.
Today they wanted to play soccer. I am the girl who played one season of soccer when I was like 6 and that was enough for me but today the correct answer was YES of course I want to play soccer with you in this dirt/gravel/trash lot especially when you are totally going to run circles around me and I'll just be glad to stay upright. Which I did. Mostly.
I was that girl just happy to get my foot on the ball once in a while and kick it close-ish to the right teammate. Taking up space. Breathing really hard in this mile high altitude. Getting lots of high fives and more encouragement than I deserved for my less than stellar soccer abilities. But in the middle of it all I felt God whisper, See? Isn't this amazing? This is what this morning was for.

Art lessons

 

This was our soccer field...
 
So much better than my plans.

We played until we were all totally worn out (and really stinky) and then we talked and a few of the boys danced their special regional dances for us. It was an amazing morning. Total surprise gift. I felt truly present with these boys and therefore more fully in God's presence. All grace.

The boys went back for lunch and almost right away Marta returned, with all of the medical appointments completed and a small smile on her face to see us. We took her upstairs for a quick lunch and then changed her into new clothes and gave all the nannies big hugs and kisses for goodbye. How do you say goodbye to the women who have mothered your daughter for her first two years? There is no adequate thank you, not that I could formulate with words anyways.

Marta was calm and brave. She hugged me tight and melted against my chest as we rode away, and we've spent the rest of this afternoon and evening just playing quietly and cuddling. She is very slowly opening up to Joe; he is working so hard and so patiently at winning her heart. This is an amazing man I've got. Feeding her cookies, filling up her little purse to be emptied again, sneaking little touches... He's winning more trust and more eye contact already. I think he might even get a smile soon :)

Putting Marta into her pajamas tonight was surreal. She is really our daughter. But it seems weird even to type that. Right now she is sleeping peacefully in her pack n play after she fell asleep in my arms. We'll see how tonight goes!
For now we are just so thankful for all the gifts, all the grace, all the ways God has taken care of us and brought us all to this moment. Hard times are coming. She has so much to adjust to. But for now, we enjoy being present in this moment and we give all thanks and glory to God.

Changing Marta into her going home outfit


Driving away from the care center

Joe giving kisses that were not well received... the tears started just after I snapped this pic...

Comments

Anonymous said…
How exciting!!! I know Joe will win her over quickly, and it's so sweet to hear that she is finding trust and love already with you! You're a great mama :-) -Sees

Popular Posts