I am a rockstar

 
 
You know how people cry when they see famous people in person? Like totally lose control emotionally? I've always thought that was weird. But I'm pretty sure after months of looking at our family photo book, little girl thinks I am a rockstar. When I entered the room today she took one look at me and burst into tears. That must be it, am I right?!?
Ok, maybe there are deeper emotions at work. Sometimes it's all about how to give the blog a more interesting title than "Day 2". And it may have something to do with being tired and loopy. Who can tell about these things?
Anyways...
The burst of tears was thankfully short-lived; I walked in and sat on the floor with the toys and the kids started to play and climb on me. The nanny brought out their books and so we all sat reading and practicing words and She eventually came over to join in and sat on my lap. Then Nanny handed us the family photos books that I've sent at two separate times with friends, and she seemed to really get excited to look at those. A few friends tried to grab them away but she got very protective. Success again! We sat and looked through the books and pointed her out (she loves looking at pictures of herself, maybe a vanity problem, we'll work on that later) and of me, Joe, her brothers, and Millie. I was completely surprised that she already associates Dada and Mama with Joe and I; if I say Mama she'll point to me in a picture and the same for Joe. And she says Mama, Dada! She's probably a genius. Obviously.


I left at nap time and went with my friend Fekadu to have lunch and visit Korah, the dump on the outskirts of Addis. We also spent time with Tesfaye, the manager of all the ministries that work in Korah. Both men shared their stories with me. They both have amazing testimonies of coming from such hard places--- like hard that we can't imagine, living on the streets, eating from the dump, accidentally eating a rat that looked like a potato, living with infection that could've been treated simply but instead festered for 7 years... So many stories of hardship. And yet both have been totally changed and called by God to rise up and serve the people in Korah and others in Addis that still struggle like they used to. They are strong men of faith who don't complain about what they've suffered but instead let God use that to guide the work that they do.
So we walked around Korah a bit together and met some of the families that live there. Many are widows and orphans, many are disabled. But with the help of the ministries at Korah like A Heart for Korah and Ordinary Hero, they have been given hope and a chance to work towards independence. I met a boy named Teddy, 20 years old, who grew up in Korah and then was sponsored and able to go to school. Now he is going to college with the hopes of coming back to work in Korah with Tesfaye. They are completely changing this community through short term sponsorship and you can really see that it makes a difference. So, for anyone who is interested in supporting a charity that is responsible and trustworthy, I'd recommend either A Heart for Korah or Ordinary Hero in a heartbeat. I'm your eyewitness. They are making a big difference in precious people's lives.

This bakery, when finished, will provide income for 5 families

Walking the streets of Korah

at the edge of the city, behind the dump

So, lots of emotions for Day 2. I'm so thankful for sweet time again with my little girl (!!!). And I'm totally inspired-- it is completely overwhelming when you see so much need in places like Korah, but I believe wholeheartedly that every little bit counts, and it's such a gift to be able to see that in person. To see God changing lives, to see hope where there once was only despair. God is good.

Comments

Popular Posts