She's real!

So this whole adoption thing is super weird because you stare at this picture FOREVER and totally fall in love...
And then one day you board a plane and fly 17 hours over the ocean and all the sudden she's right in front of you and she's real! And this little person is about to become a huge part of your life. Forever. It's really really mind-blowing. That on top of the fact that I haven't slept for 2 days and I'm kind of a mess.

But. Here's the story. :)
We (2 other moms are here) walked up to the care center today and all the toddlers were out in the courtyard playing with little soccer balls and chasing each other. I spotted her and immediately started crying. But I wanted to seem semi-normal to her so I mostly held it together. I didn't want to rush up and grab her so I just stood back and watched all the silly play. As the toddlers realized we were there many of them came right up to us, grabbing our legs and babbling, but she watched, wide eyed and silent, and slowly walked backward in a circle around us. Taking it all in. We sat and watched them play their racing game, and even then she was shy and quiet, not racing full-tilt like the others but jogging along with a shy smile.

We went inside up to their room and they began to play with the toys on the floor. A few of the kids came right up and sat in my lap and held out their arms to be hugged but still she kept her distance. I started playing "This Little Piggy" with someone's toes and soon others wanted a turn, so I had a few precious little ones gathered around alternately holding out one little brown foot and then the other. After watching her friends have fun, she finally inches her way over and held out her toes to be Piggied. Success! I went over and over her little toes and she just gave me little smiles, but mostly watched quietly.
Then the nannies brought in the crib mattresses that had been airing outside, and we zoomed the kids around on those like little racecars. She joined in to that game even more quickly. It was so fun to see all the little toddler bodies piled up on each other, zooming around and giggling.
We sat and played with toys, and after watching her friends play and hug me she finally came over with her arms held out just a little bit and gave me a hug. Not a big giant falling into you and climbing on you hug, but a keeping safe, offering just a little bit hug.

 
I got to feed her lunch and then it was pretty much straight into bed for everyone, but they left her on the floor with me so I eventually picked her up and brought her over by her crib, where I swayed with her until she fell asleep on me. I sat on the floor and held her for an hour and chatted with one of the other moms there. It was a peaceful, relaxing time.
She is a reserved observer. I love the little bit of her personality that I could see so far today. And since I didn't even expect her to be ready for me to hold her, today's play and cuddle time was a gift.

Comments

seriously sitting here balling....I can't believe you had that much patience to not just run up and hug her...I admire that so much! I cannot wait to here more about how she falls in love with you!!!! Thanks so much for the update
sees said…
I feel like I can see you doing all of that - thank you for the detailed account so we can share in your FIRST EVER REALLY REAL MEETING OF YOUR DAUGHTER!!! Love it and I'm SO thrilled you got to hold her while she napped. :)
Unknown said…
Finally you meet her and hold her. What a sweet beginning story. There are tears of joy as I read this.
Love u, Aunt K.K.

Popular Posts