Wow.

 
All I can say is wow. In every way.
I have had an amazing week, so much fun with other adoptive friends in Addis, and all this sweet time getting to know little Marta. She is a quiet, gentle little girl. All things I am completely unused to. I'm trying to learn how to play with someone whose main idea of fun isn't being as loud as humanly possible. I finally heard her talk today, lots of words, and it was amazing. 
We turned a corner today. She's been happy to have me hold her, but very quiet and cautious. Today I finally got her to really laugh, and she started asking, "Up, up" every time I put her down. Then we looked out the windows together and she was saying all the names of what she saw in her soft little Amharic voice. We looked at one of those Richard Scarry bajillion words books together and she lounged all over my lap and tried to repeat all the words I read to her. I could tell she was so much more comfortable and it felt natural so that was wonderful.







 
So today felt like one giant step closer to her trusting me enough to be able to bring her permanently into our care, which we aren't planning on doing for a few days after Joe gets here. As nice as Joe is and all, I'm thinking once the giant man with a beard shows up we're going a few steps backwards on the comfort level. So we'll see how she reacts to Dada. Pray for that :) 
I am going to miss all of my adoptive mama friends being in town-- we are all the same kind of crazy so that's fun. But I'm really looking forward to Joe being here. We've been video chatting every day so that has helped a ton with me not missing him and the boys SO so much. They are ready for some grandparent summer camp. I'm hoping that'll make our time apart seem quicker. 
In all, this past week has been amazing. God got us through the past year and a half of insanity and we all keep saying to each other, "We're finally here!!!"
And on top of that, I'm in this wonderful guesthouse, perfectly clean, with Wifi to talk to my family, and so many fun shops and restaurants to visit. We went to Makush yesterday, which is this pretty fancy restaurant in an art gallery featuring local Ethiopian artists. Some of the work was breathtaking. So when Joe gets here to ok a selection we might be coming home with a cool new painting. I even got to meet one of the artists, this guy in skinny jeans and dreads. Total artist type. So fun!





 
As far as prayer requests, we need to have a birth certificate and passport with Marta's new name within the next few days, so pray for that, but also just protection for her little heart as she transitions to our family, and protection for my boys while they are with the grandparents. And energy for the grandparents! Ha! 
If you are reading this far, you obviously love me and I love you too :) thank you for your friendship and prayers. 

Comments

Popular Posts