Sick day

Micah was sick today. My kids don't get sick a lot, thankfully, and I always feel a bit of panic when an illness descends on the house, like it's just waiting to take us all down. And out come the Lysol wipes...
Having a sick preschooler makes homeschooling a little more difficult, so we didn't get to spelling today (never my favorite!) but we did lots of extra couch time reading (always my favorite!)
We are reading about the Wright brothers lately; we just finished the Childhood of Famous Americans one and now we're onto the Landmark series. The boys and I are LOVING the Wright brothers... And their mom, who "was different from other moms"... In that she drew out the specs for a super-speed sled and told them to take their 4 year old sister down the hill with them, and later gave them free reign with their dad's tools when they wanted to make kites to sell to the neighborhood kids. SO MUCH inspiration here. Fortunately Micah was asleep when we read about the tools; otherwise tomorrow I'd find him out there powering up the table saw, no joke. And I am not ready to be quite as cool as Susan Wright was. I'll get there. Maybe.

So, even on a sick day, lots to be thankful for.
43. Inspiration from the Wright brothers, who thought deeply, worked hard, took risks, and loved to work together. Good brother role models.
44. Boys begging to read JUST ONE MORE! chapter. Of a biography. Love it.
45. Reading the book Levi picked out at the library on security guards to him. He was riveted. I was not. But it was cute to see how interested he was. And the pictures are from the 80s so the Afro inspiration is building.
46. Lackeys are in town. Always a blessing, just a moments' conversation with an easy friend.
47. Boys are playing flag football. At Saturdays game, we saw big improvements already! Mason caught a pass :)
48. Flag football with the Parkers is so fun. Love John and Brandy, love their kids. An excuse to hang out on a Saturday morning? Yes!
49. Seeing Levi and Aschalew together always makes me smile. Usually because they are doing something absolutely ridiculous. And maybe slightly dangerous.
50. Our sweet neighbor Lois brought her little foster baby, who is BabySister's age and (tiny) size, over to our house again tonight. Because she is so close in age and size I just drink up any time with her and squeeze her teeny little body as often as she'll let me. We call it my practice time.
51. Lois shared this verse with me: 1 Samuel 25:29, which describes our lives as being safe and held in God's treasure pouch (NLT).
52. Jonathan came over this weekend and we got to have some good quality time with him. We have all been missing him! Mason was so excited he couldn't stop touching him. Hopefully he'll still come back ;)
53. Joe and I have been doing Marriage Prep mentoring at church. We love our group, three couples who have enough to talk about to make it interesting and don't mind asking questions. We love questions-- two introverts leading a discussion group? Please, ask more questions! :)
54. Joe is growing out an Alpha beard but so sweetly trimmed the sides a bit so the bushyness is a bit under control now. It totally counts as a blessing in my book.
55. I am still having a hard time believing it and resting in it but we have a new agency that is taking care of our adoption process. It's been two months that we were pretty much on our own and I'm so used to having to watch over every detail that it's hard to take my hands off of it again and allow an agency to do the work for us. So. I think we will actually be able to bring this little girl home. It is very hard to believe!
56. BabySister's first birthday was this past week. We celebrated her, and the boys recorded the birthday song and messages to her. The Lord has watched over her and kept her safe for a year, I know He will continue to do so.

Comments

CassieBrown said…
I love the boys' interest in biographies! So fun! :) I'm sure Levi would like some biographies about Knights or soldiers (he cracks me up with those books he picked out). :)
Emily said…
love catching up on your life. your sweet family. your blessings. thank you for sharing. (and tom is growing a beard too...yes, we lead parallel lives:)

Popular Posts